Jan 12, 2012

A Busy Week/Changing Paths

I'm sorry for hardly posting this week but it was a crazy week at work with a very important project being due today. I was working late every night this week and had very little time to write when I got home. It makes me think about the pressure I put on myself to write everyday and how difficult it can be. And this, like, anything else is a new learning experience and I think I was a bit ambitious trying to write a post everyday of the week. So once again I think I'm going to change the format of my blog to help me deliver better content. The big change is I'm not going to be posting everyday but instead like 3 times a week. The categories will stay roughly the same but not related to a particular day of the week. Writing fewer posts will help me create better, more informed posts.

That being said I wanted to just talk about something I realized the other day. For a  while I had this original plan that I was going to apply to graduate school this February, get in for the coming fall semester and then spend the next two years getting my masters degree in global governance. But as of today I still haven't done application and I had a serious case of procrastination. Or I thought it was procrastination.

It wasn't. It was me trying too convince myself that this was the right path for me, the next step. I realized last week that its not the right step for me for a few reasons. First, the program just wasn't right for me. It didn't fit what I thought my career path was and I was just doing it because it was what my parents wanted and the tuition was cheap.


Second, the masters in global governance itself would have done little to get me into the career field I wanted. Third, I discovered I have new interests and skills that I never knew I had. I work with computers all day at my job and really love working with them and I'm good at it too. I've also gotten the chance to do some web design and layout stuff which has also been really cool. I've always liked computers but I always thought that careers in computer science would be boring and dull but I actually like working on the computer all day.

Anyway so I'm still going to go back to school soon but I think I'm going to change my path a bit to get some education in computer science and web design. This doesn't mean I've given up on a job in politics it just means I'm finding another way of making myself a valuable commodity in that world.

So here's the moral of the story. Don't be afraid to change your path. You always have to be open to whats new on the horizon and be willing to change your path. It can be scary to change your path but its far worse if you continue down a path that your not crazy about. You'll just end up bored and depressed in the future. And don't worry if you fail at one path there's always another to take.

And always find ways to improve yourself. Whether its going back to school, reading a new genre of books, or trying new food. You may find a new passion or interest that you never knew your had. And its even better if you can turn that passion or interest into a job, because then you are set for life.

I know I feel much better about where I'm headed even if I don't have an exact direction. What I do know is I'm happier and less stressed about the future. Don't be afraid of change.

No comments:

Post a Comment