Dec 12, 2011

Moving Back In With Your Parents: The Silver Lining

Before I graduated college I had always told my friends, "no way am I moving back in with my parent, I'm on my own now." I would scoff at my friends who had made plans to move back into their childhood homes. And then it happened. I graduated college, had no permanent job lined up and very little money saved to rent an apartment. I was forced to move back in with my parents. And my girlfriend decided to come along too since she was in the same situation I was. An article posted earlier this year on the Huffington Post website describes why so many graduates are forced to move back in with their parents. But fear not those of you who are facing the same future, there is a silver lining, in fact there are a few.

1. Free or low rent and utilities: Unless your parents are total hard cases they will charge you little or no rent. This is great when you are just starting out since rent and mortgages are the biggest chuck of your living expenses.


2. Home cooked meals: If you can't cook then this is a huge benefit and if you can cook is always nice to have a nostalgic home cooked meal.

3. Start saving money: When you are first starting out it can be difficult to save money with all of your other expenses, especially if you are in a low paying job. Living at home means little or no rent, but instead of spending that extra money to put a portion of it each moth into a high-yield savings account, as if you were paying rent.

4. Parental advice: If you are like me, you have little know how when it comes to real people things like purchasing car insurance, understanding health insurance, saving for retirement, credit cards. This list goes on. Having someone who has done it all before right there at your disposal is a life saver.

5. Breathing room: If you have no concrete plan for where you wanna go next in your life its nice to have some breathing room to figure things out. Moving home helps keep your expenses down and assures you have place to stay, food to eat, and people who care about you and this is so helpful when your trying to figure things out. Plus parents want whats best for you and can help you achieve your goals

And there you have it. A few reasons to look forward to moving back in with your parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment